Incorporating a Company
This information sets out how to incorporate a company. It covers:
- general information about companies (including community companies)
- choosing a company name
- deciding how you would like to run your company
- understanding legal obligations for directors and shareholders
- registering your company, and
- keeping your details up to date.
Step One: Review General Information About Companies
There are a number of reasons why you may wish to incorporate a company. It is important that you understand what incorporating a company means and what this will mean for your business. Click here to find out more. Specific information on the new community company is available here.
Step Two: Choosing a Company Name
Choosing a company name is an important step in incorporating your company. Click here to find out more.
Step Three: Deciding How You Would Like to Run Your Company
Under the Companies Act you can choose to run your company in accordance with standardized rules or come up with your own. Click here to find out more.
Step Four: Understanding Legal Obligations for Directors and Shareholders
Step Five: Registering Your Company
To register your company, you have two options:
- register online via the registry services link above or at a computer kiosk at a VFSC office
- if you are unable to access a computer, then using the paper form under the ‘laws’ tab.
It costs less to incorporate your company online. More information on fees is available here.
Step Six: Keeping Your Details Up To Date
Companies are required to file annual returns. This is important to keep your details up to date as well as enable VFSC to continue to provide services to businesses. For more information on the annual return process, please click here.If you or your company’s details change before the annual return period you may easily update your details through the registry services tab above, attending the VFSC kiosk or using a paper form if necessary. Please note that there may be a cost to change details. More information on fees is available here.